[rt-users] Fresh install of RT 3.6.6 - admin leary of upgrade to 3.8.1

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Tue Sep 16 11:30:29 EDT 2008

Have you read the readme doc?  You would simply install RT as a clean
install (configure, make testdeps, make fixdeps, make install) along with
installing mysql, apache, etc.  You'd also have to have enough mysql
experience to make a dump of the current database and install it as a new
test database.  This could be done on the existing DB server rather than
install mysql on the test server.

With all that said and the background you've given us, it's sounds like
you'd be much better off waiting for your sysadmin to come back into town
and take over this project.

James Moseley

             "Todd
             Christensen"
             <tchristensen at uta                                          To
             h.gov>                    <jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com>
                                                                        cc
             09/16/2008 10:22          <rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com>
                                       Re: [rt-users] Fresh install of RT
                                       3.6.6 - admin leary of  upgrade to
                                       3.8.1

Thanks for your response.  Couple of things....my sysadmin is out to
VMworld this week - so my project is just sitting still.  I'm willing to
give it a whirl myself - but I'm not great with CPAN or Pearl at any level.
I've got VMware workstation 6 and am willing to put on any distro (CentOS
is my preferred, RHEL, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc) and do a complete fresh install
of 3.8.1.

However - I need as close to step by step instructions as I can get and I
find those severely lacking.  I can get MySQL installed, Apache, etc.  but
customizing the install and building the images from source is not
something I am adept at.

Any links to a great spot to point for N00b insructions for RT 3.8.1 clean
install?  I know that seems to be a contradiction with this product whereas
if I was installing Wordpress for example- it really is a 5 minute install
and tons and tons of great documentation for 1st timers.  RT seems to be in
another world altogether.  I'm fine with the CLI on Linux for 50% of what
needs to be done - but like I mentioned - compiling apps is a bit dicey for
me (I find myself particularly troubled when I run into errors and have no
idea what they mean and where to go from there).

Thanks,

Todd Christensen

<OF318480C3.6DB09296-ON862574C5.008210DF-862574C5.00824543 at corp.xanadoo.com>,