[rt-users] Database relocated onto alternate server

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 05:58:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Keith A McDermott <kmcdermo at purdue.edu>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm moving forward with my testing of RT 3.8.2.
>
> Setup:
> Virtual machine (Virtualbox) running RT3.8.2 in Debian Etch.  Web port
> is forwarded to the virtual machine through the host but otherwise there
> is no access to the VM.  I moved the database onto a production database
> server.
>
> RT_SiteConfig.pm has been altered to say:
> $DatabaseHost is set to dbproductionserver
> $DatabaseRTHost is set to the hostname of the vm host machine
>
> Problem:
> In the apache error logs, I get:
> DBI connect('dbname=rt;host=dbproductionhost','rt_user',...) failed:
> Access denied for user: 'rt_user at hostmachineHostname' (Using password:
> YES) at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/DBIx/SearchBuilder/Handle.pm line 106
> [Tue Mar 31 08:58:05 2009] [error] [client hostmachine.ip.goes.here]
> Connect Failed Access denied for user: 'rt_user at hostmachineHostname'
> (Using password: YES)\n at /opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT.pm line 204\n
>
> And I get a 500 server error page returned to me.  However, I can use
> the mysql command line tools from the virtual machine and connect just
> fine.
>
> Is there possibly a port that's being expected to be open that i need to
> forward or something else that I'm missing?  This seemed like a pretty
> straightforward change in the beginning...

It should be straighforward just as you say.
Have you tested manually connecting to the DB like:

mysql -h dbproductionserver -urt_user at hostmachineHostname -pSec3t rt

?? Did it work?

If not, then go to the dbproductionserver and give the necessary privileges
for rt_user to connect:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON rt.* TO rt_user at hostmachineHostname IDENTIFIED BY
"Sec3t";
mysql> flush privileges;

--
Best regards,