[rt-users] Internet Explorer changes custom fields when editing ticket basics

Matt Polichette mpolichette at numirabio.com
Wed Oct 13 11:44:23 EDT 2010

Hello,

We are trying to use RT as a bug tracker and have added a few custom fields to a queue.  There are also a few custom fields which depend (are "categorized by") on other fields.  When someone submits a bug, they create a ticket, select the program the bug is in, select the version of the program and write the bug report.  All of that works, and because the "program version" custom field is categorized by the "program" custom field, the user only gets to choose versions based on what program they choose.   After that the ticket is created and put in our bug tracking queue.

We like RT for that functionality.  However, the problem arises when anyone tries to update any of the basics using internet explorer.   On most browsers when you click basics, the form is loaded with all the current values set, but in internet explorer the form is loaded and the dependent custom fields are set to (no value) instead of their current value.  That is a problem because if someone changes anything without resetting those fields, they get set to (no value) and we lose what was there.

I'm using IE8, RT 3.8.7, and the web2 theme, it seems to happen with any dependent custom fields.
*Correction- this only effect custom fields which are categorized by another custom field which is assigned to the queue. So the problem doesn't show up with the choice for Operating System because the custom field "platform" which categorizes the operating system values is not assigned to this queue.

Thanks for the help if anyone knows what I can do.  (Besides not use IE, I wish that were an option).
-Matt P
mpolichette at numirabio.com<mailto:mpolichette at numirabio.com>