[rt-users] Using RTIR - How to send notices to clients who do not respond to Investigations

Landon landonstewart at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:37:57 EDT 2013

On 31 July 2013 18:37, Kevin Falcone <falcone at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> I've generally just used RT::Action::Notify and --action-arg AdminCc to
> notify the AdminCcs (or other arguments as needed).  For Notify, you
> must use --transaction first or --transaction last and keep in mind
> that Notify.pm obeys the NotifyActor note. RecordCorrespondence might
> work fine, I've just never used it.  Using SendEmail directly is
> almost never what you want.
>
> Keep in mind however that any code that records a transaction on a
> ticket (so RecordCorrespondence, which records a transaction by
> calling the Correspond method) is going to update LastUpdated on the
> ticket.  You're updating the ticket, so LastUpdated moves.
>
> Sending mail without that is likely to be *very* difficult.  You
> likely actually want a Condition module that checks for a status
> change or checks for the first notification to do your calculations,
> or to record something in a custom field for easier querying.

I think I've got the Condition module worked out.  Using two custom fields
that update on correspondence (if we update it sets the StaffUpdate to Y
and increments a counter).  If the customer updates it sets StaffUpdate to
N and resets the counter.  This in conjunction with the LastUpdated and
other fields seems very useful for the condition checking.

I've attempted to use RT::Action::Notify briefly and then realized I don't
know how to use it because it looks like it calls functions in
RT::Action::SendEmail and tries to parse a template but I don't know how to
tell it what template to use.  When I run it with rt-crontool it basically
chokes on the Parse part of RT::Action::SendEmail.  Do you know of any
functioning examples using Notify and SendEmail?  I've been googling but
this seems to be a bit of a gray area apparently.  I see posts about people
asking but no examples of it working.

Thanks!

--
Landon Stewart <LandonStewart at Gmail.com>