[Rt-devel] Double line spacing in ticket display.

Jason A. Smith smithj4 at bnl.gov
Wed Dec 9 11:42:39 EST 2009

I noticed what seems to be an ugly interaction between the WYSIWYG
(FCKeditor) editor and the new $PlainTextMono config/preference setting
that uses CSS to make the text formatted nicely with a mono-spaced font
and line wrapping to avoid horizontal scroll bars.  Ticket message
transactions added with the WYSIWYG editor contain hard <br> tags at the
end of newlines manually inserted in the message and included replies
which turn into double spaced lines when displayed with the new
$PlainTextMono display option.

If replies are made with the normal non-WYSIWYG editor, they do not
contain the hard line breaks (<br>) because they are 'text/plain'
messages and are therefore not double spaced.

If I disable the $PlainTextMono option or use the other $PlainTextPre
option instead, then there are no double spaced newlines.

I think I traced this to: Ticket/Elements/ShowTransactionAttachments

which adds 'plain-text-white-space' to the <div> tags when displaying
messagebody class ticket correspondences.  This style contains the:

white-space: pre-wrap

definition which is how this new $PlainTextMono option works, but when
combined with the way WYSIWYG created 'text/html' messages are
displayed, it produces double spaced lines since they contain both <br>
tags and real newlines in the html source.

I think the way to fix this is to remove either the newlines or <br>
tags in the $render_attachment sub, when displaying messages with the
$PlainTextMono option enabled.  Does this sound reasonable?

~Jason

|  Jason A. Smith                          Email:  smithj4 at bnl.gov |
|  Atlas Computing Facility, Bldg. 510M    Phone: +1-631-344-4226  |
|  Brookhaven National Lab, P.O. Box 5000  Fax:   +1-631-344-7616  |
|  Upton, NY 11973-5000,  U.S.A.                                   |