[Rt-devel] Any ideas on approach to add Additional "placeholders" for CustomField links?

Brian D bjd-dev at simplicity.net
Mon Feb 8 14:15:32 EST 2010

Guys,

I have some opportunities where it would be advantageous to link to
other systems using the CustomField links, but I would like to be able
to use information from potentially multiple other ticket
properties/custom field values in my link creation.  Right now this is
not generically permitted, but it would seem like it would be a good
general-purpose thing to add that others could benefit from.

In looking at ObjectCustomFieldvalue_Overlay.pm, I do not see a
"clean" way to extend the available %placeholders to do what I was
thinking.

The main problem is that when you are in that code, $self is the
custom field obj, not the parent ticket.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to add
placeholders generically for the other custom fields of the ticket?

For reference, the URLs I would like to craft might be something along
the lines of:

http://assetsystem/lookup?user=__CF.UserName__&machine=__CF.hostname__&ref=ticket-__id__

Having the ability to call some custom code to craft URLs where more
logic vs simple template replacement could also be useful, but in the
cases above, it's not required.

Thanks,
Brian