[rt-users] RT and http external authentication

Jesse jesse at pallas.eruditorum.org
Mon Mar 20 17:36:46 EST 2000

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 03:15:16PM -0600, Chris Blackmor wrote:
> NEW INSTALLATION QUESTIONS:
>
> Problem 1:  We are using http authentication instead of cookies because
> 	    our user base is about 200 people in the group.  We did not
> 	    want to have to re-enter (or have the users re-enter) data
> 	    that is already stored in our http authentication file.
>
> 	    That said... A user that doesn't have a specific RT account
> 	    in the RT database but is authenticated via the external
> 	    method cannot see the open tickets in the database.  Also
> 	    when that user clicks "Logout" it never actually logs the
> 	    user out.  It is probably a mistake on my part in the installation
> 	    but I am not sure what I mucked up.
>
> 	    We would like any user that gets authenticated to be able to
> 	    view all open tickets without having a specific RT account.

Hrm. RT doesn't generally have this functionality. maybe a guest account would
work?

> Problem 2:  I have probably screwed up allowing users on other
> 	    machines than the server that the RT app is running on
> 	    to use the command line interface to create tickets.
> 	    We get the following error when we try to run the rt commands
> 	    from a machine other than our server (server=ambia while the
> 	    user is sitting at a machine named carib).
>
> 	    ERROR:
> 	    carib 171 /u/rt/bin > ./rt
> 	    Mysql->connect failed: Host 'carib' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server at /u/rt/lib/rt/database.pm line 24
> 	    [connectdb] Database connect failed: Host 'carib' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server

Well, you'll need to read up on how to grant another host mysql access at www.mysql.com. Also, you'll need to make sure that your RT installation is nfs mounted
and accessable on all the hosts you want this to work on.