[rt-users] RT/BSDI/postfix

Michael Hall mhall at riverside.org
Wed Feb 21 17:10:02 EST 2001

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 04:09:26PM -0500, Justin Monti wrote:

> hmm.... this sounds like it might be a misconfiguration with sendmail.  On
> my RT server (solaris 7 box) i needed to set the smart relay host in the
> sendmail.cf file to my company's SMTP server otherwise sendmail was spinning
> for a while when sending mail, and RT was waiting for sendmail to return,
> thus causing the occasional time-out.  Check your syslog to see if there are
> complaints from sendmail that it can't resolve external hosts or can't get
> its own fully qualified domain name.

Hmm, we're using postfix not sendmail. I at first was thinking it might be
a mail problem but as I tried to explain in my message the mail repsonse
comes through fine, I can go read the response while the browser is sitting
there spinning it wheels to redisplay the results of the transaction. Its
something going on after the mail is sent, pretty sure its something to do
with MySQL as tailing the mysql log shows a query entered but its like it
never gets an answer (thus the browser says "Document contained no data")
when something eventually times out, yet it still leaves the perl process
running and I have to kill them off manually. Yet it all runs perfectly
at home (Linux, RT 1.0.7, MySQL 3.23.32) but has problems at work with
(BSDI 3.1, RT 1.0.7, MySQL 3.22.32).

--
Fight Crime - SHOOT BACK !!!

Mike Hall,