[rt-users] Performance problems

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Sun Jul 15 00:20:18 EDT 2001

To give you an idea of what I use RT on:

        anna.fsck.com is my laptop. It is a celeron 233 with 128 megs of ram.

        I run X, Xemacs, mysql, apache with mod_perl and RT on it. I _develop_
        RT on it. It performs just fine.

        pallas.eruditorum.org is the server that serves http://fsck.com
        It is a P2/400 with 256mb of ram. It is running two rt2 instances,
        mysql, two _other_ instances of apache with mod_perl, postfix,
        bind, kerberos. zephyr, ftpd and a host of user processes. It
        barely breaks a sweat.

        The new fastcgi handler is certainly less memory intensive than
        the mod_perl handler, but, well, RT is written in perl.

         128 more megs of ram will cost you on the order of
         $10 [1] these days. I suspect that's probably the easiest
         way to deal with your problem.  You might also want to look
         at making sure apache isn't starting more processes than it needs
         to and that other things aren't gobbling ram on the box.

         -j

[1]      http://www.rich-pacific.com/1216pc168pin.html
         That's not an endorsement for rich-pacific. they were just the first
         hit on pricewatch.