[rt-users] RFC: RT install w/o setgid Perl or mod_perl

Mark D. Roth roth at feep.net
Fri Apr 19 15:44:00 EDT 2002

On Fri Apr 19 12:20 2002 -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
> I want to thank you for the wonderful writeup you did on installing RT
> as a NON-ROOT user.  This is just wonderful stuff.

Thanks.  I'm glad you found it useful.

> For me, I really want to see RT succeed, but the install process needs
> to be cleaned up, and the dependencies should also be cleaned up as
> well.

The biggest problem I had with the dependencies was in figuring out
which perl modules weren't needed because I'm not using mod_perl.  In
fact, I'm still not sure that I've got this completely sorted out; I
may have some modules installed that I don't really need.

> Mostly, not having to re-install new stuff each and every time RT
> changes, and making the installs more compartmental, so that if you do
> upgrade, you only re-install stuff local to that version of RT, and
> not globally to the entire web server.

I agree completely.

I think the main point here is that we need the ability to package it
up for easy installation.  Different sites will want to build
different types of packages (RPM, Solaris pkg, AIX lpp, HP-UX sw,
Encap, etc), but as long as we have the ability to control which
directories the various parts of the package get installed into (ala
autoconf's --prefix, --bindir, --libdir, et al), packaging up RT
should be no more difficult than any other software.  Once we can
build packages, we can let the packing system handle dependencies and
other installation issues for us.

Anyway, those are my suggestions, for whatever they're worth. ;)

--
Mark D. Roth <roth at feep.net>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/