[rt-users] adding keywords on ticket creation?

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Feb 7 14:10:48 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Rob Walker wrote:

> On Thursday 07 February 2002 12:22, Darrin Walton wrote:
>
> > It sounds like they do understand keywords, as after they create the
> > ticket, they are then adding the keywords.  Just explaining to each user
> > that before they hit 'create', they should clikc on 'Show Details' and
> > pick the keyword there.
>
> Good point, it isn't that difficult.  However, I doubt that the users in this
> case _really_ want to use RT.  I don't mean that they don't want to use it,
> but that using RT isn't their jobs, but it is an adjunct to their jobs,
> hopefully making their jobs more efficient.  I think that the more work we
> can do automatically for them, the better.  Think of it as the next evolution
> from typewriter and paper through RT to "mind-reading RT".  :-)

Raymond, your question to rt-users perhaps needs some additional
information.  RT, as it is, is not capable of automatically assigning a
keyword based on the contents of the ticket (unless the enhanced mailgate
is, and someone will pipe up if it can).

Based on the phrasing of the question, I gather that the input to RT is
formatted in a particular way, eg:

	Problem: widget broken
	Machine: workstation-23

etc.

It would be possible to have RT perform a particular action when it 'sees'
that input on creation, and thus mark the ticket with a particular
keyword, based on patterns in the input, thus doing what you want.

If you describe the problem in more detail, a solution might be found.  If
you throw money at Jesse, a solution will be found ;)

Regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B                      Operations