[rt-users] Integrating with another Ticket system

wkelleher at aaservicesltd.com wkelleher at aaservicesltd.com
Fri Feb 15 11:22:12 EST 2002

I have got RT up and running and it gets more impressive every time I play
with it.

I need a way to integrate it with another system.

I need all our requests to be handled internally and if a certain person
decides that a ticket needs to be sent to the support team of one of our
primary software vendors I would like the system to communicate back and
forth as if the Admin was corresponding directly with the outside ticket
system and all the correspondence is recorded locally.

I believe at any time though I could query there system and get back all the
comments etc.. on the ticket.

I thought of setting up a user or Queue that when a ticket was assigned to
that entity it would automatically send an email to the outside ticket
system which in turn would reply with an incident ID and subsequent comments
and or solutions.

I think I would need a place to store there ID (watcher, last contact)
unless I could Use alpha's in our Id's (#AA123) and then just create a new
ticket on our system with the id from there system which would have no
alpha's (so we would never collide) and merge our ticket(s) into that one on
the fly.

I am pretty sure I will have to intercept the incoming email because there
system will strip the ID from the subject and send us into a loop. I think
the email sent back will always have the RT id in the body. I was going to
start to look at the IncomingEmail script in Contrib but Perl is not my
specialty. Maybe I should look at the current code that reads the subject to
get the ID and implement it into a new module to read the content and stop
when it finds the first occurence.

I was wondering if anyone has done something like this

Here are the commands to issue to there system

Our email interface allows our customers to create
new
incidents, track existing incidents, and update existing incidents with
new
information.  These commands are explained in detail below.

* To Create a New Incident

To create a new incident, simply send mail to
support at xyz.com, providing a
one line summary of the incident in the email subject, and a detailed
description of your issue in the body of the email.  You may also attach
any
relevant files to your message.  All information in the message will be
stored in a new incident, and an incident ID will be emailed back to
you.
You can then use this ID to track or update your incident.

* To Track an Existing Incident

To get a status update on an incident, make sure you have your incident
number
handy.  Send email to support at xyz.com, with the following
text in the subject
line:

    query incident 1234

where 1234 is replaced with your incident number.  An email will be sent
back
to you providing status on the incident.  If the incident was closed,
the
resolution or a work around will be provided.

* To Update an Existing Incident with More Information

To provide more information for a particular incident, make sure you
have
your incident number handy.  Send email to
support at xyz.com, with the
following text in the subject line:

    update incident 1234

where 1234 is replaced with your incident number.  Provide any
additional
information in the body of your email message.  You may also attach any
relevant files to your message.  An email will be sent back to you
providing
status on the incident.

Thank you for choosing XYZ.