[rt-users] Send thread back to requester on resolution...

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Mon Mar 4 23:44:43 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 17:41, Darrin Walton wrote:
>   |+ I would like to know if RT can be configured to send more details when a
>   |+ ticket is resolved. I am dealing with a specific complaint from some
>   |+ clients that when their tickets are closed they have no idea "what it was".
>   |+ Is it possible to send the entire RT thread on closure? A URL is not useful
>   |+ because it requires a login.
>
> Are you sure you want to send the entire thread of the ticket?  Some of
> it (comments) are meant just to be for your internal use.

Good point.  When I was in the TAC at ciscoSystems, the trouble ticket
system had a separate text field for internal notes.  This is where you
put the sensitive comments.  This was important because any customer
could go to the web site and read all of the comments in their tickets
(as well as add new comments), and follow bug links to the publicly
available information on the bug-tracking system.  This was a
_wonderful_ way for busy customers to interact with us, since they could
get to the Net at off hours, and watch the notes we put in to their
ticket, or see what the developer had done with any bugs they were
watching, things like that.  I think that a better way would be to have
a "private" checkbox on the RT forms, and then a private bit would be
set, and the external people can not see that note.  I guess the note
about that note would be private, too, so the external user doesn't see
"added private note".  :-)

Since RT is not (legacy) proprietary software, we know it will be much
better than what ciscoSystems was trying to purchase with dollars.

rob

PS.  Is there some other quality which cannot be purchased, but must be
earned?  Like what Bilbo had to be able to have The Ring.  We could say
that (legacy) proprietary software was missing that quality, but trying
to purchase?