[rt-users] RT <-> Knowledge Base

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Oct 24 11:03:33 EDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Len Kranendonk wrote:

> We also have the need for a Knowledge Base to save solutions, patches, screenshots, etc.
> Ideally, this Knowledge Base and the ticketing system are integrated.
>
> My questions:

> - Does RT has a kind of "Knowledge Base" function, so that solutions and
> technical information can be stored without logging a new call ?

At the moment, the StockAnswers in the contrib is the closest to what you
are looking for.  Note the 'at the moment'.

Something that may be interesting is that the RIPE NCC has contracted
Jesse to implement something 'Knowledge Base'ish to our specifications,
with it to be released under GPLv2 at the successful completion of this
project.  This will require RT 3.0, and most probably will not be
back-portable to RT 2.0.x .

At the current rate of progress, Jesse[1] expects a beta release sometime
around Christmas.  This year, right Jesse [1] ?

> - If no, is it difficult to add this functionality to the RT framework ?

For us, we signed a bit of paper.[2]

> - Are there already addons for RT that provide this functionality ?

Yes, see StockAnswers.

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security

[1] Currently tied to a chair in the NCC HQ.
[2] Not in Blood, our Finance people wouldn't permit that.