[rt-users] File::Spec ??

Ken Gunderson gundee at rmci.net
Sat Sep 21 10:15:20 EDT 2002

On Saturday 21 September 2002 01:03 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Greg White <gregw-rt-users at greg.cex.ca> [20020921 06:20]: wrote:
> > On Fri Sep 09/20/02, 2002 at 07:17:54PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington
wrote:
> > > Hello users,
> > >
> > > After living with this problem for months, I've now decided to
> > > ask the gurus for a solution.
> > >
> > > There are times I've had to reinstall File::Spec because apache
> > > complains about the version. The problem is that once in a while
> > > this problem rears its ugly face again:
> >
> > [massive correct info elided]
> >
> > Let me guess (and I don't think it's a guess, I'm sure I've seen
> > you on the FreeBSD lists) -- you're tracking -STABLE in FreeBSD. ;)
> >
> > Every time you buildworld/installworld, you must reinstall
> > File::Spec -- either FreeBSD has added it, or it's always been part
> > of a standard Perl 5.005_03 install -- been ages since I used that
> > version of Perl in anything but FreeBSD.
> >
> > I simply make it a part of my set procedure for
> > buildworld/installworld. Anytime after the install, but before the
> > reboot, will prevent any downtime for Apache & RT except for the
> > reboot. I find right after mergemaster works best, it's
> > user-interactive as well.
>
> Hello Greg,
>
> You are 100% correct in your observations. I'd also thought that it's
> something to do with FreeBSD updates but wanted to be sure about it.
> As a matter of fact I've always had to do this whenever I do
> buildworld.
>
> OT: Do you know why the perl in FreeBSD is not being properly updated
> - the decision behind staying put at ver 5.0.x???
>
> Thanks to all who responded to give me the solution.

have you checked out /etc/make.conf--
#NOPERL=        true    # do not build perl. Disables OpenSSL
optimizations

i think this would keep build/install world from overwriiting site
specific things like file::spec---  not sure about effects on openssl
though cuz i haven't tried it yet myself...<grin>

regards-- kg