[rt-users] Accented characters problem

Jari Lehtonen jari at utu.fi
Mon Dec 8 15:14:21 EST 2003

On perjantai 5. joulukuu 2003 17:18 -0500 Jesse Vincent
<jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> Er, if they're OK in the web interface, what do you mean by "Body of the
> ticket"?  Also, When reporting bugs in RT, it's useful for you to report
> what version of RT you've found the bugs in.

He probably means something like this:
<http://users.utu.fi/jari/tmp/rt.png>

That is, in an email message sent in iso-8859-1 character set, with 8bit
content-transfer-encoding, accented characters are garbled. In this case,
on the first line of email body (starting "Hei Jari ..."), there's supposed
to be an ä (ä) and an ö (ö) instead of what seems to be those
characters after they've been converted to UTF-8.

In my case this happened almost constantly with Perl 5.8.2, RT 3.0.7_01,
and FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE. When I downgraded Perl to 5.8.1, it doesn't happen
nearly as often. One thing I noticed today is that emails where this does
happen, have been sent via a Postfix server.

My RT is patched with your change concerning lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm (email
to list and Ronny Pettersen on Nov 21st), but I don't think that affects
anything, since the emails RT sends out to admincc's also have the garbled
characters.

--

        Jari Lehtonen
        Unix & Network Services