[rt-users] Removing quoted email text

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Jan 9 05:13:12 EST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, John Gedeon wrote:

>    I was wondering if one could have all the quoted email text stripped out
> and not saved or sent? This is due to the fact that we have a high volume
> of emails where the replies of one person includes all the previous email?

That sounds like you have an environment where people are continually
using MS (spit, ptoui) Outlook and similar mailers.  By default, these
mailers encourage people to top-post, and to leave all the 'quoted' reply
text at the bottom.

However, in such an environment, you have two things in your favour.  The
first is that the MS (spit, ptoui) default idea of 'quoting' a previous
message is to have it not indented by anything at all.  Thus, the 'quoted'
text is just the same as the text that they received.

Secondly, RT by default won't quote any text after a .signature separator,
being '-- ' on a line of its own (ref lib/RT/Attachment.pm and
lib/RT/Transaction.pm) .

Thus, you can limit the excessive quoting of previous messages, by
ensuring that your .signatures (as stored by RT in your per-User
preferences, and put at the bottom of each reply) has a line of '-- '.

However, the long term solution is to hit them repeatedly over the head
with multiple copies of RFC1855, Netiquette Guidelines, until they cease
such annoying behaviour.

Regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B             Operations/Security