[rt-users] feature request or "how to do this"

matthew zeier mrz at intelenet.net
Mon Jan 27 16:10:25 EST 2003

Here's my take on solving this - readme file is tacked on below.  I'd be
interested in any feedback or improvements.

http://www.intelenet.net/contrib/rt-mesage-broker.tgz

//
// RT Message Broker - Copyright 2003 Matthew Zeier <mrz at intelenet.net>
// Distributed under Version 2 of the GNU General Public License.
//

Introduction
------------

RT Message Broker is meant as a holding ground for incoming messages
from automated sources (HP Openview, for instance) before items become
actual tickets.  The NOC's responisibility is to watch this window and
discard any non-ticketable events or create tickets.

In my environment, HPOV and other automated systems email
rt-mb at intelenet.net.  The Message Broker logs into the rt-mb IMAP
account and acts simply as a method to bounce real ticketable items to
RT and discard those that aren't.  This has an added benefit of letting
the NOC discard spam before creating tickets.

I acknowledge there may be a better way to do this.  This was tossed
together in a couple hours and could stand some improvements.