[rt-users] Sendmail problems (EXIT_TEMPFAIL) with rt3 mailgate

Arthur Watts a.watts at cqu.edu.au
Thu Jun 12 19:56:19 EDT 2003

Hi,

      I have searched high and low in an effort to find a solution to
this problem, to no avail. After migrating our RT2 data into the RT3
database and doing the necessary config (see below), our mail logs
record the following result when I try to create a new ticket via email
in rt3 :

Jun 12 23:16:28 xx-xxx sendmail[21357]: h5CDGSU3021357:
from=<a.watts at xxx.xxx.xx>, size=48019, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<C73A42308A9E56438DEDD76DB6FFC90A5B46C1 at locxxx.xxx.xxx.xx>,
proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=mx2xxxxx.xxx.xxx.xx [138.77.5.126]
Jun 12 23:16:29 xxxxxxxx sendmail[21358]: h5CDGSU3021357:
to="|/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Helpdesk -action correspond
--url=http://my.rtserver/rt3", ctladdr=<icom-helpdesk at xxx.xxx.xxx>
(8/0), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=prog, pri=78235,
dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: prog mailer (/usr/sbin/smrsh) exited with
EX_TEMPFAIL

     OS is RH 8.0, running 'Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27', MySQL
3.23.53, sendmail 8.12.5-7.

     1. /etc/aliases :
      icom-helpdesk: "|/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general
-action correspond --url=http://my.rtserver/rt3";

      I have used the 'newaliases' command to rebuild sendmail's
database, and the mail log confirms this.

     2. /etc/smrsh :
[root at xx-xxx smrsh]# ls -l rt-mailgate
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Jun 13 07:50 rt-mailgate ->
/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate

     3. httpd.conf :
  Alias /rt3 /usr/local/rt3/share/html
  Alias /NoAuth /usr/local/rt3/share/html/NoAuth
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

  PerlModule Apache::DBI
  PerlRequire /usr/local/rt3/bin/webmux.pl

  <Location /rt3>
    SetHandler perl-script
    PerlHandler RT::Mason
  </Location>

     4. Perms :
    Everything under /usr/local/rt3 is owned by 'root:webserveruser',
where 'webserveruser' is the name of the Apache 'User' variable.
Everything in the web interface is *fine*, it's the mail gateway which
seems to be my only stumbling block.

     The sendmail doco says something to the effect that 'EX_TEMPFAIL'
means that it is unable to deliver the mail, but will queue it for
delivery at a later date. As soon as I switch everything back to RT2,
mail begins coming in again, and the queued messages are delivered 30-50
minutes after that point. I suspect that it's a perms issue with the
receiving mailbox, but the same user runs Apache under rt3 as rt2, and
rt2 is working fine.

      I am not a sendmail whiz, so any suggestions are most welcome.
Alternatively, tips on how I can use strace to get a better idea of what
file sendmail is trying to open would be handy - its currently just
returning the above diag without giving me much idea of what is going
on.

Thanks,

Arthur

Arthur Watts (a.watts at cqu.edu.au)

Web Developer

Faculty of Informatics and Communication | Central Queensland University