[rt-users] Problems with long articles in Mozilla?

Scott Hebert scott at cae.com
Thu Oct 16 20:13:20 EDT 2003

Hi John,

I've been working with RT 3.0.6 to try to create a new type of custom
field called 'FreeformContent'. The idea is that I want my users to be
able to enter a very large paragraph into a custom field.

The FreeformSingle is too small, display-wise and the FreeformMultiple
takes each line as an entry/value for a Custome Field.

In creating this new type of Custom Field, I discovered what you're
describing at that is that my Value was being truncated.

I think I tracked it down to the fact that the field
TicketCustomFieldValues.Content was a VARCHAR. I also noticed that
Attachments.Content was a LONGTEXT. Seeing that attachments can be quite
large, I decided to alter the TicketCustomFieldValues table to change
the type of the Content field  to be LONGTEXT.

It goes without saying that I've had to patch other files to get this
new Custom Field to work, but I thought I'd mention this in case it
might you trackdown your problem.

I'll be making a patch for this new type soon, so if anyone is
interested in it, drop me a line.

SH