[rt-users] Problems with long articles in Mozilla?

Victor Danilchenko danilche at cs.umass.edu
Mon Oct 20 12:13:05 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, John Schutz wrote:

>I'm new to RT and RTFM, so forgive if this is well known.  I read
>through the FAQ, but didn't see any reference to this.
>
>I'm using RT 3.0.6 and RTFM 2.0.1 with Apache 2.0.40 and mod_perl 1.99
>on a Linux box.  Everything seems to work OK, except for building
>articles in RTFM.

	I have *exactly* the same setup, and *exactly* the same problem.
I saw a related problem in RT proper, though -- when you resolve
tickets, you cannot set 'time worked' field, its value simply gets
dropped silently; this happens only when trying to simultaneously
resolve, and set time worked.

>  I have a very simple article layout, with 2 custom fields: Keywords
>(FreeformMultiple) and Body (TextSingle).

	We have two TextSingle fields (comments and meta-comments). The
error is the same, though.

>When inputting long bodies in Mozilla, the articles get truncated after
>a certain point, it seems to vary at what exact point, but bodies of a
>couple of thousand characters.
>
>  If I do the same thing in Internet Explorer, it does not seem to have
>the problem at all.

	Well, I tested the same problem under multiple browsers (Camino,
Safari, Mozilla/Linux, Mozilla/OSX, IE/OSX), and saw the same problem
everywhere, although the corruption point differs.

>I've checked the issue with Mozilla 1.5, 1.4.1 (Windows) and 1.2.1
>(Linux).  I've taken packet traces, and the POST from Mozilla looks
>complete, and is not truncated.

	This seems to be a server problem, not the browser problem.
There have been some suggestions that the RHL9 mod_perl RPM is borked,
and corrupts the data.

	Oh yeah, restarting Apache doesn't help -- I tried, just for the
hell of it.

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him; |
| danilche at cs.umass.edu | teach him to fish, and you'll ruin a wonderful  |