[rt-users] Subject-Tag per Queue?

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Wed Sep 3 13:26:11 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 07:06, Sebastian Flothow wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 18. Juli 2003, um 11:56, schrieb Matthias Leisi:
> > How can I change the Subject:-Tag to be something like
> >
> > [$queuename # $ticketnumber]?
> >
> > What do I break if I change this in RT's code (upgrade hassles aside)?
>
> You'll break the mailgate, as it looks for $rtname, not queue names.
> Also, you risk that your tags may become non-unique, since another RT
> instance might use the same queue names.

This could be worked around with [sitename . queuename .
#.ticketnumber].

> Generally, these tags are opaque globally unique identifiers for your
> tickets, not something humans need to make any sense of.

I see that this is how RT uses the subject line, but I think that this
is a broken implementation of this concept.

My thoughts are that opaque things should not be seen by humans.  The
subject line is certainly displayed by every mail tool that I have ever
seen.

I think a better implementation of "not-for-human-consumption" data
might have been to use X-RT-* headers liberally.

X-RT-Version
X-RT-Ticket-ID
X-RT-Queue-Name

All could be useful headers, if the designers find a use for them.  This
would also allow per-queue subject tags to be created, and manipulated,
as desired.

Of course, an email which appeared on the mailgate's doorstep without
the X-RT-* headers and with only a subject header would need to be
handled appropriately.

I think that the best way to get this option implemented is to find out
how much $$$ it would take bestpractical to do the work, and then start
working with the other people who have asked for this functionality
(queue-based names) to get together to pay for it.  So far, none of my
clients need it bad enough.  :-(

Maybe the marketing people at bestpractical will find this an
opportunity to add this feature at a new install.  I don't know.

rob