[rt-users] move resolved tickets into another table

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Apr 8 17:15:02 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 11:37, Jim Rowan wrote:
> >     However, management has requested that we should move old tickets
> > out into their own table to avoid seeking through bags of resolved
> > tickets before finding the current tickets. Searching and listing of
> old
> > tickets can well be done using a tick box indicating the explicit
> > inclusion for this purpose.
>
> First, I'd answer: "It's not worth the effort until you have proven that
> you have a performance problem that can't be fixed via conventional
> means."

You can prove this quickly just by observing that whatever machine
you have running the program does not have infinite storage, therefore
it is only a matter of time until a program that assumes you do will
break.  On a more practical note, I have an rt2 system that has about
25,000 tickets and about as many users since most come from public
email.  When I've attempted to convert to rt3 it has been too slow
to use.  The rt2 version on the average is still usable, but recently
has started locking up on occasion and 'mysqladmin processlist' will
show several entries as 'locked' and 'copying to tmp table'.   While
I agree in principle that databases should work with infinitely large
files and you should never have to delete anything, the old closed
records aren't really worth the trouble they are causing.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com