[Rt-users] Custom Statuses

Tim Pierce twp at gamelogic.com
Thu Apr 15 17:09:42 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 12:25:58PM -0700, Niedens, Travis wrote:
> I would imagine then that many of these companies will not succeed since
> CTO's aren't usually up for being painted in a corner.  That method also
> seems quite contradictory to the spirit of freeware / open source.  That's
> just me.

Only time will tell.  But I think we should all agree that at best it's
a Mexican standoff.  In one corner you have the CTO who balks at
purchasing a support contract with the promise that the desired feature
will be included in the next release.  In the other corner is the CTO
who balks at implementing a feature based on the promise that someone
will buy a contract for it.  Neither CTO wants to go out on a limb,
quite reasonably IMHO.

In general, features get implemented when companies see that it's causing
a significant number of potential customers to choose another product.
That appears to be what's happening here.  It's not specific to
open-source software and I don't see any reason to believe that the
system is broken.  I fully expect that if Best Practical sees reason to
believe that more than a handful of cranky might-be customers are
choosing which software to install based on this issue, it will become a
priority.