[rt-users] Sub Queues

William George william.george at vonage.com
Fri Feb 13 14:14:41 EST 2004

But no means "complete specs", but my $.02 on "subqueues".

On a couple of the ticketing systems I've worked on, the queues are aligned to the organizational groups that use them. These groups tended to perform "subtasks" that seem to correspond to subqueues. It's not a matter of hierarchy or ease/efficiency of implementation, but more of a problem of better alignment to how people actually use these systems.

I'd like to point out that the subqueues are important to members of the group that use the queue. A Sales queue might be a good example: You've got qualified leads, unqualified leads, possible orders from current customers, callbacks, etc. If they are organized as such, one can assign someone to "do callbacks" and expect that they will know what Tickets you're talking about. To almost everyone else in the organization there's just 50 tickets in the sales queue.

I've been viewing these subqueues as being implemented with a keyword (custom field) in a queue; so as to not impact any of the reports and ACLs.

I'm guessing that the only major impact is in the "home page" quicksearch display.  There is a minor impact in the basics display to move it to another queue (needs to attach the keyword). I'm leaning towards only showing subqueues to members of certain groups, and not allowing email creation in these groups (internal groups only).

Alright, maybe thats $.04 worth!

Bill George
RT Plumbing and Heating
Vonage