[rt-users] RT install Mac OS X

Diana Clarke justdiana at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jun 2 21:00:13 EDT 2004

I'm having trouble installing Request Tracker.  I have LOTS of
questions so if you can help me - off list may be the way to go...

I am NOT a programmer, don't know perl or unix - but I'm not afraid to
learn or bang around to try to figure stuff out.

My goal is to install on to the school web server where i work - which
is running OS X 10.3.4 Server, Apache 1.3.28, mysql 3.23.49 and php
4.3.2

Currently, I'm installing on a laptop running OS X 10.3 (client - not
Server)  and everything else the same

I think I have perl 5.8.3  - how would I check to find out?

In following the documentation on the site, I got thru step 3 - all the
dependencies.  I'm confused about WHERE I'm installing.  Ultimately it
has to run from my web server, so it seems like it should be going into
the webserver directory, but step 1 or 2 says NOT to configure in the
directory you want to install????  BTW, I'm not sure I did 1 or 2
correctly either.

Step 4 says create a new unix group - I'm not sure I did this or did it
correctly.

Step 5 is where I get totally stuck - First where's the rt directory -
which one?  where's it supposed to be?  None of the commands work for
me (make install, make initialize-database or make dropdb) regardless
of what directory I navigate to.

Also, since I played with all of this in Terminal (as root - of course)
I can no longer  use my laptop as a testing server as the Web sharing
won't start up and the web browser tells me that it can't find "the
server localhost"!!!

Thanks in advance for ANY help!  I appreciate your time and energy.
Diana