[rt-users] Re: problem creating ticket in RT via external email source

pds at skyinet.net pds at skyinet.net
Sat Mar 27 02:13:03 EST 2004

Hey Seph,

thanks for the quick reply.. :) here's the data:

/etc/aliases:
sysads: "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue sysads --action correspond --url
http://rt.mydomain.com/rt"
sysads-comment: "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue sysads --action comment --url
http://rt.mydomain.com/rt"

/var/spool/exim4/msglog/1B74Av-00055H-8m file:

2004-03-27 14:27:57 |/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue sysads --action correspond --
url http://rt.mydomain.com/rt <sysads at rt.mydomain.com>
R=system_aliases defer (-30): pipe_transport unset in system_aliases router

2004-03-27 14:57:57 |/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue sysads --action correspond --
url http://rt.mydomain.com/rt <sysads at rt.mydomain.com>
R=system_aliases defer (-30): pipe_transport unset in system_aliases router

now i did a google on the "pipe_transport unset in system_aliases router" error
message just now.. i saw this from http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-
users/2004-February/020779.html...

> the newest package for exim4 on debian has pipes disabled by default in
> the /etc/aliases b default, which means Your favorite request tracker
> won't get any mails anymore.

then i tracked down Debian Bug #229052 (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-
bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=229052) which gave some workarounds... now am not very
familiar with exim so am very confused on which of the 3 solutions he mentioned
to use.

I want to stick with exim4 since this is the recommended Debian MTA that came
with the RT3.0.9 installation. But if it'd make things easier, we could replace
exim4 with Sendmail or Qmail instead (but am also not familiar with these).
What's your take on this matter? :)