[rt-users] text vs. html in email notifications?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Sep 10 18:25:22 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 16:59, Guy B. Purcell wrote:

> > So: is there a way to make RT3 either add the link to the html
> > portion as well as the text, or delete the html portion in the
> > forwarded email so Outlook will show the text part and allow
> > clicking the ticket url to go directly to it?
>
> Maybe it's just me, but changing the behavior of the _server_ because
> of a poorly written _client_ just seems backward.

Well, the reason you do things on a server at all is generally
so you don't have to do it separately for all the clients so
it seems right to me...

> I suggest that,
> since the unwanted behavior stems from a particular client, you either
> stop using that client (I'd suggest that anyway), or figure out how to
> reconfigure that client to behave the way you prefer.

If someone could point to an email RFC that says outlook is doing
the wrong thing I might be able to make an argument here.  I'm
not convinced myself that if someone sends a nicely formatted
html part that the mailer should prefer to show plain text, or
even that it makes any sense for a url in plain text to be
clickable.  It just happens to be useful in this particular case.

> If the client isn't configurable enough to allow you to change its
> behavior to something you like, I again suggest it isn't a client you
> should be using (why use an email client you don't like when there are
> so many to choose from nowadays?).

I use evolution, but other people are involved here and they should
also be allowed to use the client they prefer.  It just seems like
the 'right' place to add a link that you expect to be clicked would
be in the html portion of the message if there is one.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com