[rt-users] Re: sending new email via rt

Bruce Timberlake rt at brtnet.org
Sun Sep 19 01:38:29 EDT 2004

> I was looking to send emails to customers not to another queue. Our support
> team speaks to our customers via email and we started to use rt as the
> ticketing systems for customers who request assistance via email. The
> trouble is if support wanted to send a test message to the customer without
> our customers emailing them first rt don't seem to supply a to field like a
> mail client would.

Just have the support person create a new ticket, and add the customer as a
Requester.

From the main summary screen, select the appropriate queue and click the "New
Ticket In" button.

In the ticket generation field, fill in the Requestors field with the
customer's email address, and add the message you want to send, etc.

You'll now have evidence you sent the email, and they have a way to reply that
will keep it all under the same ticket.

Maybe set up a "testing only" queue for these to be created in. If the
customer replies, or the issue progresses further, move the ticket to a more
appropriate queue.