[rt-users] Re: Doubt in LDAP Overlay contributed code in RT

Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com Ahalya_Nathan at mudnebr.com
Thu Aug 4 10:43:47 EDT 2005

Hi all,
I have the recent LDAP Overlay code for RT and i am trying to integrate
the following specification into it:

"At login, the user credentials will be authenticated against AD.  If the
AD user is valid, then RT will check if the corresponding local user
exists.  If it does not exist, it will be created using the information
obtained through AD, and the user will be given access rights (note that
this differs from the email user creation whereby the user does not have
rights).  In order to preserve the ability to login with an explicit user
name, the existing login page would need to be retained and accessed via a
new URL and any login through it would not use AD, but only the local DB.
Maintaining the local DB is critical since ticket history is tied to it.
Thus, users are created and may become inactive, but they are never
deleted.  Similarly, changes would be required for the logout function and
to prevent local password changes if the DB entry was derived from AD."

I am trying to understand the Overlay code so that i can make
modifications according to the specifications. I couldn't understand the
part where the Email is sent to the user. Is a email with a password sent
to the new RT user ? When is the RT Users table updated with the new users
information?. I am actually not able to understand the flow of the overlay
code and if someone could give me some documentation or pointers to
understand the overlay code then it will be helpful.

Regards,
Ahalya Nathan
Senior Programmer / Analyst
Information Technology, Metropolitan Utilities District
(402) 449-8218 phone
(402) 449-8131 fax
ahalya_nathan at mudnebr.com