[rt-users] About halfway getting RT on Mac OS X server

steve steve at n2sw.com
Tue Feb 8 11:21:13 EST 2005

josh wrote:
> I apologize as most of this is about Mac OS X and very little about RT
> installs. I think I resolved the perl issues, and I think I can
> resolve the mail issues. I'm not sure about my mod_perl/apache
> issues. Basically, I need to know if I can simply compile an alternate
> mod_perl and use it with the supplied version of Apache (1.3.33) that is
> current on the Xserve software or if I need to run two httpd processes
> (which may be too much for me).
>
> I think I'm about Halfway as far as working out the procedure for
> getting Mac OS X server and RT to cooperate. (This on a test server --
> will see what happens when I go into production.)
>
> My first realization came from a suggestion that I use the Darwinports
> package to get some of the software needed. I had to create a separate
> user, so that I could isolate the separate perl installations. I use
> Fink and Fink is tied to the system perl, though it does install a
> library of Perl modules, it always uses the same version of perl. I
> created the separate user so that I could do the installation of the
> second perl as that user and use cpan as that user by having the
> darwinports path (/opt/local/bin) first in that users path.
>
> The version of MySQL that comes with Xserver seems current enough.
>
> While postfix isn't sendmail, and I will probably need some help, it
> doesn't look as though it will create problems.
>
> So can I use the built in Apache Server or not? Is it possible to
> simply replace the module used by the RT web site?.

hi there a few points

the fact that mac os x is on postfix is not an issue at all,

yes you can add as mane modules to mac's apache via dso if you so
desire. you can also recompile it from scratch.

i would install perl from source and not use fink or darwinports. if you
are leaning towards using a port based system  i recomend pkgsrc.

i am currently running tiger and will get rt installed this week on it.
will follow up on the how to.