[rt-users] Best way to sort per department?

David Young davidy at funkypenguin.co.za
Wed Jun 22 16:09:50 EDT 2005

Hi guys,

We're trying to setup RT to track support requests within our company.
We have about 50 staff, in 5 different departments. We want this to be
as basic as possible, and only want to give the staff one email address
to send requests to.

We'd like to separate our RT requests by department. At the end of the
week, management want a report on "IT support resources used", per
department. The IT manager doesn't want IT staff to manually set each
ticket's department, based on a custom field. He wants the department to
be automatically set, depending on the user who requests the ticket. (He
doesn't mind manually adding each user to a department / group, once)

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Multiple queues is out, because of the one-support-address rule, above.

I noticed that RT 3.4.x allows custom "user" fields. Would it be
possible to bring a user-based custom field into a search? If that were
the case, I could create a custom user field called "department", and
have the IT manager manually group each user into departments. There
when pulling up a search / report, I could just include that custom
field?

Any ideas would be appreciated :)
- David