[rt-users] Re: Best way to sort per department?

seph seph at directionless.org
Sat Jun 25 00:08:15 EDT 2005

> We're trying to setup RT to track support requests within our company.
> We have about 50 staff, in 5 different departments. We want this to be
> as basic as possible, and only want to give the staff one email address
> to send requests to.

One way is to use procmail to filter to different queues (as someone
already posted) another is to use a custom scrip to set a CustomField
based on the requestor.

> I noticed that RT 3.4.x allows custom "user" fields. Would it be
> possible to bring a user-based custom field into a search? If that were
> the case, I could create a custom user field called "department", and
> have the IT manager manually group each user into departments. There
> when pulling up a search / report, I could just include that custom
> field?

I expect this would work. Though those fields may be more onerous to
access via the api than you'd like. Also, do you have users who are in
multiple departments?

seph