[rt-users] Initial Rights

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Mar 12 10:51:40 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:57:37PM -0600, Rick Russell wrote:
> Learning how rights work, and assigning them appropriately, is the first
> and most important task of learning to be an RT admin :-)

You bet.  But some hints aren't a bad thing, and you provide them
below.

> But it's not so bad. As a rough start, you can use Configuration,
> Global, Group Rights to give all privileged users a set of starting
> rights. That will get you up and running. I recommend:
>
> CommentOnTicket
> CreateTicket
> EditSavedSearches
> ModifySelf
> ModifyTicket
> OwnTicket
> ReplyToTicket
> SeeQueue
> ShowOutgoingEmail
> ShowSavedSearches
> ShowTicket
> ShowTicketComments
> StealTicket
> TakeTicket
> Watch
> WatchAsAdminCc

And here, you sort of suggest inadvertantly something that's been
running through my head: I think it would be useful if there were a way
to save 'permission slips': named groupings of permissions that you
commonly apply to people in various categories.

Group permissions can do some of this, but I suspect not all the things
that the more general approach would make possible.

Being able to *subtract* permissions would be a help, as well.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me