[rt-users] Unable to generate tickets via email

Sam Snow sam.snow at christianheritageschool.org
Mon Mar 21 06:09:46 EST 2005

Shubha Ramnath said:
> I have a queue General. There is an user account helpdesk setup. email
> is helpdesk at blrticket.brigade.com . The alias file has an entry :
>
> |/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action correspond
> --url http://blrticket.brigade.com
>
> When I try this from the command line it generates a ticket in RT. The
> log file does not show anything alarming, it only mentions mail sent
> from a particular user and it reaches helpdesk inbox.
>
> -shubha

[I prefer not to top post most of the time. Also, make sure you reply to
the list.]

You say it reaches the helpdesk inbox? It should not be delivered to a
real mailbox at all. Instead it should be triggering and processed by the
script that you referenced above.

If you are able to run from the command line (which you are), then either:
1. Your mail is not running the script. Solution: Look at mail config.
2. Your mail is trying to run the sript but then is unable to because of
permissions. Solution: Make sure the user the mail server would execute
the script as is able to access and execute the rt-mailgate program. If
you have sudo installed try runing the command line test again, but do it
as "sudo -u user_which_is_used_to_execute_email_commands
_comand_tested_before" This runs the command as the email user instead of
your root (or some other) user.

Think about those two possible places where your problem could be.

Sam