[rt-users] Unable to generate tickets via email

Shubha Ramnath shubharamnath at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 02:32:50 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 04:09:46 -0700 (MST), Sam Snow
<sam.snow at christianheritageschool.org> wrote:

> >> web

> >> postfix,

> >> so,

> >> Ok then, what is your queue named and how exactly is the account set up
> >> on
> >> the RT box?
> >>
> >> For example, for a queue named general my qmail alias on the RT box
> >> looks
> >> like this:

> >> http://aslan.christianheritageschool.org/rt/
> >>
> >> Is your mail getting sent to rt-mailgate? Can you similate this from the
> >> command line and pass it a message that way? Is there anything showing
> >> up
> >> in the mail server logs on the RT box when the message gets delivered?
> >>
> >> Sam
> >>

> Shubha Ramnath said:
> > I have a queue General. There is an user account helpdesk setup. email
> > is helpdesk at blrticket.brigade.com . The alias file has an entry :
> >
> > |/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action correspond
> > --url http://blrticket.brigade.com
> >
> > When I try this from the command line it generates a ticket in RT. The
> > log file does not show anything alarming, it only mentions mail sent
> > from a particular user and it reaches helpdesk inbox.
> >
> > -shubha
> >

> [I prefer not to top post most of the time. Also, make sure you reply to
> the list.]
>
> You say it reaches the helpdesk inbox? It should not be delivered to a
> real mailbox at all. Instead it should be triggering and processed by the
> script that you referenced above.
>
> If you are able to run from the command line (which you are), then either:
> 1. Your mail is not running the script. Solution: Look at mail config.
> 2. Your mail is trying to run the sript but then is unable to because of
> permissions. Solution: Make sure the user the mail server would execute
> the script as is able to access and execute the rt-mailgate program. If
> you have sudo installed try runing the command line test again, but do it
> as "sudo -u user_which_is_used_to_execute_email_commands
> _comand_tested_before" This runs the command as the email user instead of
> your root (or some other) user.
>
> Think about those two possible places where your problem could be.
>
> Sam

> RT Administrator and Developer training is coming to your town soon! (Boston, San Francisco, Austin, Sydney) Contact training at bestpractical.com for details.

Sam,

Thanks for the guidance. There was a configuration error in
/etc/aliaes that caused the problem - the entry did not match the mail
id created for the helpdesk user. Correcting it solved the problem. I
should have tried the command line execution of the mail script
earlier :(

Thanks again.

shubha