[rt-users] RT -- IRC integration?

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Fri Dec 22 11:43:48 EST 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:19:57 +0000
Matthew Seaman <matthew.seaman at thebunker.net> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> We're thinking about proving an IRC service for our customers to
> communicate with us, and as part of that we'd like to be able to
> integrate it with RT for ticketing and ultimately billing purposes.
> RT already does WWW and SMTP -- why not IRC too?
>
> Searching with google finds a lot of references to chat rooms about
> RT, but not what I'm looking for.  Searching the RT Wiki and CPAN has
> turned up nothing appropriate, although the RT bot at
> http://www.dmo.ca/projects/hacks/RT/RT.bm is more like it.  Alas, it
> doesn't have the sort of functionality I'm after.
>
> I guess the sort of thing I'm looking for hasn't been done yet, but I
> thought I'd ask if anyone knew of some all-singing all-dancing RT-capable
> chat-bots out there?  I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences
> in doing something similar.
>
> At the moment I'm only gathering the information we'll need before we
> decide whether to go ahead with this IRC project or not; part of that
> will be to evaluate what we can afford to spend on programmer and admin
> time in setting it up.

the Bunker eh?  Way cool - I would love to work there - but I am on the other side of the pond so to speak...  You must feel very safe when you are at work... emf aside.

Anyway, what kind of functionlity are you looking for from an IRC bot?  I did one a while back to handle querying servers for information / status / etc... but found some of the limitations on IRC annoying (try passing large amounts of text data over irc... ewwww).

I probably can't help you, but I was really curious about what you see it doing for you...