[rt-users] RT on Mac OS X Server 10.4

Derek Cunningham derek at curis.com
Thu Jun 22 15:02:54 EDT 2006

I installed RT 3.4.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.3 client and have been able to
get everything except mail delivery working right.  Installation was
a blend of the instructions on the RT wiki manual install page and OS
X install page.  I didn't install perl or apache, and the fixdeps/
CPAN stuff worked great except one module I had to force install.  I
found the entire installation to go very smooth and easy.  It was
easier than I expected (on the third try).

I'd love to hear how different people got email delivery working on
OSX 10.4 client.

We prefer having RT run on a separate machine, since it requires a
lot of customization and we won't be running software update on the
machine (who knows what Apple might decide to udpate!)  and we
decided it didn't require Xserve hardware and we had other spare
hardware laying around, so a 10.4 client based installation on a
standalone was the way to go for us.  I also read that it is much
more difficult to install on Server than on Client, that certainly
influenced our decision.  (think headless mac mini, cheap unix
workstation!)  Right now it's up and running on a Pismo G3 Powerbook,
sitting up above my desk on a shelf with a wireless network
connection.  As soon as I can figure out how to get email delivery
working I'll put RT on something more robust...  I have a pretty good
step by step instructions sheet built for OS X 10.4 client but
haven't posted it yet since it's not fully functional yet...

Hope this helps.  If anyone can help me configure postfix/email/RT
please give me a shout!

We are currently using RT 1.0.7 on a Beige G3 Tower running OS X
Server 10.0.  Built about 6-7 years ago, it is nearing time to
upgrade hardware and software...

-Derek