[rt-users] Multiple Email Addresses

Norton, Ian i.norton at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Nov 29 18:39:11 EST 2006

Hi John,

> Do you all have any creative solutions for dealing with multiple email
> addresses from the same person so you don't end up with two user
> accounts per person? I see situations where someone has their email
> client misconfigured so they send mail out as
> username at mail.organization.com when most of the time they are
> username at organization.com
>
> We can probably use procmail examine and sometimes re-write email
> addresses before they go into RT, but I was curious what others have
> done. Part of my problem is there are many machines email may come from
> bob at hisownbox.org.com, stan at mailserver1.org.com, etc

I'm very much of the opinion that RT isn't the right place to do the
normalisation.  Your MTA handles all your RT email, so do it there.
This corrects the address before RT ever sees it.

We use Exim (http://www.exim.org/) as the MTA for all our unix based mail.

Here our addresses aren't simply transformed but go from a.person at domain
to user at host so we can't use the simple regular expression replacement.

This method is as powerful as your knowledge of your chosen MTA.

Regards, Ian.