[rt-users] Help on RT

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Tue Sep 5 08:54:06 EDT 2006

Kehinde Orisanaiye wrote:

>     My name is Kenny. I am entirely new to RT but I will like to make
>     some modifications and improvement on an existing RT system.

I would recommend you head over to Amazon.com or use the link at the
bottom of these mailing list emails and pick up a copy of Oreilly's "RT
Essentials".  It's written by Jesse Vincent, the primary developer of
RT.  It's been an excellent resource when working with RT:

http://www.amazon.com/RT-Essentials-Jesse-Vincent/dp/0596006683/sr=8-1/qid=1157460562/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-4416481-7881712?ie=UTF8&s=books

>     The following are what I want to accomplish.
>
>     1.        Presently staffs have to manually open tickets when
>     customers send emails to then. I want a situation whereby when
>     mails are sent to a particular email address, RT automatically
>     creates the ticket and inform a staff to act.

So you currently have no way of injecting emails into RT?  How you set
this up is dependent upon the mail server software you are using.  What
are you using for your SMTP Server?

>     2.        I also want to know where the content of ticket history
>     is being stores by the RT system.

Recommend you install a copy of phpmyadmin (http://www.phpmyadmin.net)
and poke around the RT mysql database.  That's of course assuming your
installation of RT is using mysql, it may have Oracle or Postgresql as
the backend but most new installs use mysql since it's the most common.