[rt-users] Strategy for users who like to send mail to RT and CC: lots of folks

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Wed Apr 4 14:41:38 EDT 2007

We have a handful of users who like to send mail to our RT helpdesk and
at the same time CC: lots of other folks.  RT does a great job of adding
the CC's to the ticket - but the problem is that users typically do a
helpdesk and opens a new ticket.  Wash, rinse, repeat five times and
your ticket queue is clogged with a bunch of tickets on the same issue.

Is there a strategy that people have found works for them?  I was
thinking of just rejecting emails sent to the helpdesk that have also
CC:ed someone else, but that doesn't seem very polite now does it?  :-)
I may be dreaming but maybe a plugin or similar for RT exists such that
it would recognize an email as being part of the same email thread for
which a ticket was already created?  Sounds too fancy but cool.  Anyway,
other than better user brainwashing to not do this, are there some
strategies I might employ to help here?

--
Fran Fabrizio
Senior Systems Analyst