[rt-users] RT Couldn't Write to Session Dir - ?var at 100%

John Schubert johnschubert at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 17:50:03 EDT 2007

First, I googled this error and dug through archives
before posting.

________________________________________________________________SysInfo________________

System:

Intel PC running RedHat Linux Release 7.3 (Valhalla),
kernel 2.4.18-3

Perl 5.6.1 ModPerl 1.29

Apache 1.3.29  (error log file is clean)

MySQL 4.0.16 Standard

RT Time on Machine:  Been running flawless for about 3
years.  No upgrades to any packages or changes made in
over 2.5 years.

RT Version 3.0.4.

The error I am receiving is
“/opt/rt3/var/session_data” couldn’t be written by RT
using ‘sessions.MYI’  at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Apache/Session/Store/DBI.pm
(line 42)

First thing I did was check the file system.  /var/
was at 100%.  I got rid of some logs and dropped the
usage so that over 30% of the /var partition was
available.  I then restarted MySQL and Apache, to no
avail.  I then did a graceful reboot of the system.
The error was identical.  I’m not sure if the
partition being full was before or after the system
failing.  All log files are clean (mysql, Redhat, and
apache) except for this write error.

I then went completely through the error and, in the
sake of being quick to solve, chmod 777 every file, to
include:

/opt/rt3/var/session_data

DBI.pm

I haven’t changed any directory permissions, though.

Any insight into:  what happened, how I could have
avoided, how to fix and suggestions for the future.

Thanks,

John