[rt-users] rights for create ticket in queue drop down

Robert Long rlong at bluegecko.net
Thu Jul 26 14:31:19 EDT 2007

Roy El-Hames wrote:
> Kenn;
> Thanks for this , a couple of questions:
> If you have granted your users the SeeQueue right how are you stopping
> them from seeing the ticket listings within a queue???
> Its interesting your point about CommentOnTicket right , are you
> saying if someone have ModifyTicket  they can Comment on a ticket .. I
> think this is broken, because I am sure you want some users (like
> customers) to modify a ticket (change status etc ) but not add / see
> comments?
>
> Roy

Hey Roy,

Couple of things, there a good document on the wiki about this;

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/Rights

Also you would find the  'RT Essentials' book quite helpful for setting
user permissions.

SeeQueue just shows the Queue, not the contents of said Queue.  Without
this the actor wouldn't have the rights to access the queue to get a
listing of tickets.  Only tickets that the actor has 'ShowTicket'
privilege on will show up.  So if you only wanted Requestors to be able
to have this privilege, you would take 'ShowTicket' away from 'Everyone'
and make sure that 'Requestors' have it.

As for the ModifyTicket / Comment, this is due to the nature of how that
information is handled.  Correspondence, Comments, Status, etc are all
part of the Ticket.  ModifyTicket does just that, and allows for changes
over all of these things - it is kind of a catch all designed to
administrators.  If you wanted clients to be able to change the status
of their tickets (see note below), you would have to add a new
privilege.  Extending RT in this direction wouldn't be too bad.

However, allowing clients to set the ticket status doesn't seem like
that great of a deal to me.  If a ticket is closed and someone adds
another correspondence to it, the ticket becomes open again.  I believe
this is also the case for stalled tickets.  So a client can change the
status back to open if action still needs to be taken.  Really the only
case is if the client wants to set a ticket to stalled or closed - this
might not be what you want, as a client could errantly change the status
of a ticket, and it could easily fall through the cracks...

.r'