[rt-users] Customer Centric RT?

Justin Brodley jbrodley at sumtotalsystems.com
Mon May 21 17:08:28 EDT 2007

Has anyone done any work into making RT more customer centric?

Some history to help explain what I'm looking for.

Basically were an ASP hosting operation, we have hundreds of customers
that pay us money to host their site. Our company has several
departments that create tickets associated to each of the customers.
Currently the way were managing Customer is by having them defined as a
custom field and then we can write reports based off these custom
fields.

However, the queries we see related to custom fields have  brought up
concerns about scalability of CF fields.  Because we have several
hundred customers we have several hundred custom field values defined,
in addition to some more simple selection criteria.

Has anyone done any work in making a more Customer Centric version of
RT? In addition to our performance concerns we need to start adding
additional criteria for each customer ie, escalated customer, premier
support, etc. All of these parameters get factored into our escalation
scripts, our current thought is to do most of this work outside of RT
and then make the customer name display as Name (P) and then parse for
the () values to determine the correct ruleset. But I find this to be
terribly Kludge and there should be an easier way.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of any extensions to RT to help
accommodate some of these needs, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Justin Brodley