[rt-users] Doubts about "Merge into" functionality

Gianluca Cecchi gcecchi at peviani.it
Wed Oct 10 11:13:51 EDT 2007

Situation:

User1 sends an e-mail that creates ticket #1 with subject "I have
problem 1" into the queue General

I am a master of ticket mgmt, so that in a few seconds I take in charge
the ticket, open it, assign to it the queue "hw" and CF "company1"

After a few minutes User2 sends an e-mail that creates ticket #2 with
subject "I have problem 1 too" into the queue General

I would like to have only one reference for this problem as the two
tickets are actually for the same problem 1.

I think I have to use the "Mege into" functionality and these are the
steps I take:

1) from "10 newest unowned tickets" section I click on the subject link
for ticket #2
2) select jumbo
3) I go down to "New links" and insert 1 into the section "merge into:"

But the effect is that

A) ticket #2 disappears as it merges into #1 (OK)
B) the values of queue and CF for the ticket #1 changes in what were the
#2 ones (KO)

Is it a bug or me incorrectly using the functionality?

How would be the correct way to manage this situation?
At http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/ManualIntroduction i can find
explanation only for the other kinds of ticket-links...
Thanks,

Gianluca