[rt-users] A hoary goat.

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Apr 4 12:09:55 EDT 2008

Robert Logan schrieb:
> Rainer Duffner wrote:
>
>> Robert Logan schrieb:
>>
>>> Long time listener 1st time caller ....
>>>
>>> A few snippets of advice required please.
>>>
>>> Ive just started at a new post and have been tasked to look after the
>>> RT system here. Its version 3.1.4 and fairly vanilla in setup.
>>>
>>> I intend to take this (2005) system and move it to the latest, with a
>>> hardware and OS/Db update as well. Im assuming that the upgrade to
>>> 3.6.6 (current) will be more or less painless (follow the guide), but
>>> I'd like some pointers to making changes thereafter in terms of custom
>>> forms for ticket submission (various custom fields) and any caveats
>>> anyone has ..
>>>
>>> MY RT history is one of installs and very simple setups of v3 RTs (on
>>> slackware - so I know how to mess with stuff) and a lot of time with
>>> RT2 back in the day.
>>>
>>> Any pointers will be much appreciated
>>>

>> OS?
>> DB?
>> Webserver?
>> mod_perl?
>>
>> Clairvoyants not included....
>>

>> cheers,
>> Rainer
>>

> Ahh - apologies - currently the usual RHEL 4, FastCGI, Apache/2.0.52
> and mysql 4, but am as stated amenable to change for changes sake. Im a
> moderately competent sql/perl developer (mod_perl) - Mason doesnt
> frighten me as such.

Well, I only migrated my RT from FreeBSD5 to FreeBSD6 and PostgreSQL8.0
to 8.2 (and from RT3.4 to RT3.6).
Inbetween these PostgreSQL-releases, the PostgreSQL-team put in a lot of
unicode checks, so that the import of the binary-dump didn't work.

When that was solved, everything worked again.
It seems, BestPractical has put *a lot* of effort into the upgrade process.
I wish, I could say this for all vendors whose software we use...

cheers,
Rainer