[rt-users] Using rt with email

Emmanuel Lacour elacour at easter-eggs.com
Fri Jul 11 09:35:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:13:31PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> Hi all

Bonjour ;)

> First time I'm post a message on this mailing-list.
>
> I'm sysadmin, I'm never use any ticket managing system, (so I never use RT
> too).
>
> I'm using/managing Linux/*BSD system during > 10 years, but I'm not a
> programmer, that's mean I'm not perl-guru.
>
> I would like to known if with RT I can :
>
> 	managing all tickets with email (exclude editing ticket), but
> 	submit a ticket, create a new ticket, close ticket, assign to
> 	someone a ticket, re-assign a ticket.

submit/create: yes
update: yes
close, assign, ...: you can do some of this with extensions like
"Command by email" (see http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/Extensions).

> 	make some knowlegde database

you can use RTFM (RT Faq Manager http://www.bestpractical.com/rtfm)
along with RT.

> I have the RT Essential book, and I think everything is possible with RT,
> but my question is «everything is possible»....for who ?
>
> Can I do those thing without write many perl scripts ?

Well you can try out stock RT with a quick install (won't be too
difficult if you're a sysadmin) and see how much it fits your needs.

If it fits 90% of your needs, maybe it's enough. If really there is some
needed things missing (not in existing RT extensions too), then you will
need a bit of perl knowledge to ack RT and see that we can do near to
everything with it ;)

else, there is companies around that can give you support on RT ;)