[rt-users] Not understanding initial email config :(

John BORIS jboris at adphila.org
Wed May 28 15:02:28 EDT 2008

Andy,
The email address has to be valid for it to get to RT. I am no guru
when it comes to email but woudn't the emailer try to resolve the email
address and then look for the MX record for that address in DNS. If you
sent the email from the command line and your log shows that address as
unroutable then it can't locate the domain in DNS. I am not sure if you
added it to a host table if that would get it to work. Your resolv.conf
would have to be setup to have the lookup order to include looking in
the host table.

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia
"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> "Andy Smith" <a.smith at ukgrid.net> 5/28/2008 2:51 PM >>>
Hi,

  ok I have proven that I can successfully create a ticket remotely
from the Exim server by cat'ing an email into rt-mailgate like this:

cat 1172082829.H159040P74283.mx.test.net
|/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --action correspond
--url http://rt3.test.net/

But still real email even if generated on the command line on the mail
server isnt making it to RT... In my exim logs I see unroutable
address. Whats the recommended config here to make this work?

thanks Andy.