[rt-users] Optimising for low bandwidth

Woody - Wild Things woody at wildthingsafaris.com
Fri Nov 7 03:56:07 EST 2008

Hi all,

We use RT 3.8.1 (gentoo,apache2,mod perl) for use with our sales team
for Safaris in Tanzania. We have extremely poor internet connectivity
from Tanzania (no fibre yet) - our ISP has less transit B/W than most of
you have to your homes! and 800ms latency. It is therefore important to
us to keep b/w usage to a minimum. If you've every used a 14.4modem, its
like that!

I have a few ideas to help this and have searched the net without luck.
I can code basic perl.

1. I'd like to automatically strip sigs from emails stored in the
database, so the Ticket's page is not so long with all the transactions
- can anyone suggest where i should put the code to do:

$sig_marker="------------"
s/$sig_marker.*?$sig_marker//sg

to remove a sig like

--------------------
my sig
--------------------

or should it be in a scrip?

2. I'd like to parse the transaction through something like uniq(1) to
get rid of duplicate lines, and also to remove lines that are:

to only one line.

where should i put this code? in a scrip, or in local/lib/RT? which
module? I think i can write the code, but need advice on the correct way
to go about it.

3. I'd like to only display the last few emails for a ticket, and even
then, maybe only the first 5-6kb of a email - our clients reply without
trimming mails to relevant detail, and threads can be over 50 mails
long! that can make a display ticket page over a MB in some cases. I
thin this may be a larger hack.

4. If anyone else has any great ideas about how to optimise RT for low
bandwidth, I'd love to know!

thanks in advance

Woody.
--