[rt-users] How to get RT to use Reply-To for returned emails

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:45:16 EDT 2008

Hi John,

It's possible to access the headers of the original e-mail in an on-create
scrip and then change the requestor to whatever is found in the reply-to
header.  You would have to create a new user for the reply-to address if
that user does not already exist.  You might end up with a bunch of bogus
users unless you also delete the original requestor/user after changing to
the new one because RT creates the user before the on-create trigger
happens (you might have to shred it, I'm not sure).  And if there is no
reply-to header then obviously you wouldn't change the requestor.  Doing
this might present some surprise gotchas as well, so be prepared.

Another thought is to change the requestor's "userid" to the reply-to
address.  This seems like it would be cleaner, but I've never done it and
don't know whether it is feasible.  If the user already exists, then you
change the requestor to that user.  You still need to delete any bogus user
that gets created.

I think this will get you the Reply-To header:
   my @ReplyTo =
$self->TicketObj->Transactions->First->Attachments->First->GetHeader('To');

but you might be able to simplify it to:
   my @ReplyTo =
$self->TransactionObj->Attachments->First->GetHeader('Reply-To');

Give it a shot and have fun!

Regards,
Gene

--